The original design of Al-Azhar Mosque consisted of a court surrounded by three aisles. The largest aisle is the prayer direction one. A transept, which intersects the prayer direction aisle, has a ceiling higher than that of the mosque. A dome crowns the intersection of the passage with the mihrab colonnade.
The main entrance of the mosque was in the middle of the northwest wall. A colonnade was added to the court. A dome was added at the entrance of the passage intersecting the court. The additions took place at the end of the Fatimid era. Thereafter, additional structures were added in different eras.
There is no information about the original minaret or about its location. Also the present mihrab is not the original one. However, the original mihrab was discovered in AD 1934.
Two domes are found at the two corners of the prayer direction aisle. One of the domes is on the right corner to the right of the mihrab and the pulpit. Facing them is another dome in the left corner.