The obelisk, a four-sided pillar that tapers into a pyramid, is one of a pair. It is dedicated by Ramesses the Second to the temple and its main deity Amun-Re on the occasion of the king's jubilee.
It is 25 meters or 82 feet high and weighs about 130 tons. The other one, which is only 23 meters or 75 feet high, has stood in the Place de la Concorde, Paris, France, since AD 1836. It was given to France as a gift by Pasha Mohammad Ali, the ruler of Egypt, in return for the clock presented to him by King Louis Philippe of France, which now adorns the tower of the Mosque of Mohammad Ali at the Cairo Citadel.