The northeastern portion of the Great Court of Ramesses the Second contains a path between the back of the pylon, or temple gateway, and the columns of the court. The mosque of the Muslim saint Sidi Abul Haggag was built on the debris piled in the temple portion of the court around AD 1243.
The present building dates to the nineteenth century, but the northern minaret is from the eleventh century and rests on a lintel, or horizontal beam above a door, of the temple. Each year, on a date based on the lunar calendar, the feast of Abul Haggag is celebrated. The followers of the saint drag his wooden bark, a small ship, on a cart through the town of Luxor. This feast may be a modern adaptation of an ancient Egyptian rite, which is now used as a tourist attraction.
From the court, the back of the east tower of the pylon is visible with its two important scenes. One portrays the feast of the ithyphallic god Amun-Min, in which the god's statue is being carried by priests. Under the supervision of princes and high officials, young sportsmen are shown climbing poles in the ceremony. The other scene is incised with the pylon as it was initially planned with two seated colossi, or enormous statues, and two obelisks, or four-sided pillars that taper into a pyramid.