The museum is named after the last person who lived in the building, a British doctor called Major Gayer-Anderson. It consists of two neighboring houses, which are connected at the upper level by a bridge. One of the houses was built by Haj Mohammad Ibn Salem Al-Gazzar in the year 1041 Hijri/AD 1631. The second house was built by Master Abdul Qader Al-Haddad in the year 947 Hijri/AD 1540.
The Islamic Ceramic Museum in Zamalek occupies the ground and first floors in the palace of Prince Amr Ibrahim. The Palace is generally used as the Al-Gezira Art Center and the Museum houses a great collection of ceramics from the different Islamic periods.
The Governorate of Al Gharbiya is known for its ancient history, so no wonder that the Egyptian Government chose the year 1913 for the establishment of a Museum of Archeology in this city. However, very soon the museum was shut down and its content were put in storage. The museum re-opened in 1935, and was closed for a second time. Finaly, the Museum was opened to the public on 29 October 1990. It is on five floors; antiquities are exhibited on the first four floors, while the fifth floor contains the administration department, storage facilities, and a conference room.
The National Library and Archives was established by an AH 1286 (AD 1870) decree and was originally housed in the Palace of Prince Mustafa Fadel. As it grew, it moved to Bab El Khalq Square and then to its current location overlooking the Nile at Ramlet Boulak.
The Coptic Museum houses the largest collection of Coptic artifacts and the most significant collection of Coptic art in the world. It is located behind the walls of the famous Roman fortress of Babylon in the ancient district of Cairo (Misr Al-Qadima).
The Greco-Roman Museum in Alexandria was officially opened on 17 October 1892 by Khedive Abbas Helmy the Second and dedicated to the Greco-Roman period. Its collections include artifacts from Alexandria and Faiyum.
The idea of constructing the Museum of Islamic Art was in 1869. It began in the courtyard of the Mosque of Al-Hakim and was moved to the present premises on Port Said Street (formerly Al Khaleeg Al Misri) on Ahmad Maher Square. It houses more than 102,000 objects of Islamic art.